Production Engineer, Application Lifecycle
• Reduced deploy time of the core application from 35 minutes to under 17 minutes by leading a project that built a centralized deploy scheduler.
• Implemented Redis instance migrations across clusters in under 5 minutes.
• Built user friendly tooling for automated application failovers used during incidents and for infrastructure maintenance.
• Leveraged application metrics and ongoing incidents to make infrastructure deploys safer by implementing custom deploy strategies.
• Modernized the application platform infrastructure according to resiliency best practices by championing project to migrate 400+ services to newly created Kuberenetes clusters.
• Mentored new team members and interns to provide support as they ramped up to the tooling and processes used by the team.
May 2019 - June 2021
Production Engineer, Cloud Platform
• Migrated multiple business critical applications to the new internal application platform.
• Reduced the impact of noisy neighbour using a custom Kubernetes controller to manage the creation of resource quotas, and limit ranges for application namespaces.
• Improved deploy tooling by adding rollout monitoring for daemon sets, stateful sets, resource quotas, and more through upstream contributions to Krane.
• Reduced support burden on the team by making it easier to debug deploy failures through improved error handling for invalid Procfile entries in Herokuish.
• Reduced container build times from 5 minutes to under a minute for configuration file changes by leveraging the container cache, speeding up deploys and making it faster to scale up applications.
• Built a user interface for developers to monitor application health and status without requiring knowledge of the inner workings of the platform or Kubernetes.
May 2017 - May 2019
Production Engineering Intern
• Containerized & migrated multiple production critical services on to Kubernetes.
• Automated cluster creation and application bootstrap on Kubernetes through a CLI and a chat bot.
• Built an on-demand staging environment for developers to boot up standalone Shopify instances including database snapshots to seed the staging environment.
Sep 2015 - Aug 2016